Tuesday, June 20, 2017

The One That is a Bummer

Elder Weedley is having a rough week.
Here is his e-mail:
well im getting transferred to kokomo and back to english speaking im pretty sad my spanish is finally good and everything was clicking this past couple weeks so im upset but yeah anyway other then that the week was good
Here's the thing.
Change sucks.
And I have found that especially when you are serving the Lord, when you get comfortable and feeling pretty good about life, that is when He stretches you, and pushes you.
God can always see the end result- when we cannot.
These words are not comforting when you are in the middle of change, especially when you were just feeling confident about your current situation.

It's hard on a mom to see her kid struggle, and not be able to sit him down and counsel him.
I get a short window to e-mail back and forth.

My heart has been aching since Monday. I have said extra prayers because I didn't know what else I could do. I worry because it seems like this whole first year has been somewhat of a struggle for Elder Brendan. It seems like as soon as he starts getting some traction, the rug is ripped out from under him. Knowing he is a lot like me has made me worry all the more. I can take and take and take and then one day I am just done. I was hoping that this wasn't the straw that broke the camel's back for him.

So I have fretted. He was transferred, so I don't have a new address to mail him a letter, or a "cheer up" package.

I don't know how to tell him to "hang in there," so I just gave it to God. I have to remind myself that God is a bigger advocate for his success on his mission than I am. I have to remind myself that these changes are going to be for the greater good- they always are. I asked God to help me have this faith. To feel peace that my boy was okay.

But it's been hard. And I was in for a long week. I won't hear from him again until next Monday.

Today I got a letter in the mail. A hand-written letter from my boy. As soon as I saw it, and before I opened it, I told Sam that if Elder Weedley needed me- then Sam needed to just book me a flight to Indiana- no argument.

The letter was five pages.
Five pages of "Mom, I am doing fine. I am so grateful for the way that you and Dad raised me. I hate and love my mission. I can do hard things because you taught me to."

What do you know?
The Lord answered my prayers, and eased my apprehension through the very boy I was worried sick over.
He works in super strange ways.

Here was our back and forth:
The Beach Boys have a song about Kokomo. That means it's awesome.
im pretty freaking sure its not indiana kokomo though
YOU DONT KNOW THAT
They have a bowling alley
well thats good lol
Also Kokomo has a Ross!
well thats really good!!
You are always home wherever there is a Ross.
Also Kokomo is home to the guy who wrote the Clifford the Big Red Dog series
what the heck man thats weird
Lots of weird this week.
Also lots of potential for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment