Thursday, July 27, 2017

The One With Molten Glass

On my bucket list is Venice, Italy.
I have always wanted to see this city for obvious reasons, but also to go out to the island of Murano- where they have world famous glass artisans.
So.
Who would have guessed that Elder Wadley's current area in Indiana- Kokomo, is another famous place for artisan glass?
Elder Brendan visited the glass factory last week. He sent photos and a couple of video clips. This factory has been in operation since the 1800's.
So I guess I no longer need Venice. I just need Indiana! Or something.
Here are his words this week (thank goodness he sent video and photos, because the words are, as always, limited.)
its been a pretty typical week we found a family that we can start teaching hopefully so thats pretty exciting um this morning we toured the kokomo glass factory so that was sweet its the oldest glass factory built in like the 1800s and stuff so that was dope um and yeah we had zone conference this week but other then that same old stuff
He also learned how to make dream catchers from his companion, Elder Stallings. From the look on his face- he's pretty proud of his new talent. I also took notice of his chin hair stubble? This is a strange observation as I have been a missionary mom. I send my kids out as babies, who barely need a razor, and they come back all 5:00 shadow-y. It's weird.
I am hoping this doesn't happen to Shianne, my daughter. ;)
The glass factory, Kokomo Opalescent Glass makes sheet glass:
as well as traditional glass sculpture and blowing.
Here is one of the video clips he sent. I was a tad concerned about the little worker guys dripping molten glass all over the floor? They told Brendan that it just sweeps up at the end of the day. I would be the person to dribble it all over my feet.
A good week in Kokomo.

No comments:

Post a Comment