Monday, April 17, 2017

The One With Moab

It has been a family tradition to spend a week in Moab around this time of year. There is an annual event in Moab,"Easter Safari" that as the name suggests, usually coincides with Easter. We have photos of Sam changing Elder Brendan's diapers on the hood of the Jeep on Moab trails. 23 years, we have been coming. By "we" I mean Sam and the kids. I avoided it as long as I could- before I caved and joined them. I split my time in Moab between some easy, non-threatening trail days, and spending time by myself, by the pool at the hotel while the rest of the family enjoys white-knuckling it over obstacles. It is a hobby I have never understood, but I see the positives in tradition and "taking one for the team" in hopes of making family memories.

That being said, this is the first year that Elder Brendan has not been in attendance. It left us all with a hole in our hearts, and it was pretty depressing to look back and NOT see the brown Jeep (Hawaiian shirt and bare feet sticking out) following behind us.

Brendan in Moab last year, 2016
I was tentative with my e-mail subject material this week, knowing how hard it would be for Elder Brendan to be missing this week. Sure enough, his words made my heart hurt.
Here is his e-mail:
this week was pretty good ill be honest this was a harder week for me im able to bear testimony and pray in spanish and stuff its pretty sweet i enjoy it a lot send me lots of pics of Moab also grandpas honorary Hawaiian shirt i bet its amazing i miss all you guys a ton i missed Moab a lot sad  huh christmas was easy compared to moab its fetching hard but other then that we had some cool experiences this week like a less active member in the branch he was having some issues because his wife recently passed away due to cancer and he hadnt been coming to church but we had a dinner with him on Saturday and we shared the Easter video as well as Alma 40 about the spirit world and he really opened up to Elder Cepeda and I and told us that hes been struggling it was really a cool experience and yeah other then that not much lol
I know this kid is right where he needs to be. I know he is serving his little heart out- and bringing joy to others. But as his mom, knowing he is hurting, even a little- because he is missing out on something he truly loves is hard.
But.
Everything worthwhile comes with sacrifice.
I have seen him changing, and becoming less selfish. I have noticed the ways that his testimony of the gospel has grown. I have watched him cultivate the desire to be obedient, and all of the blessings that come from that one choice.
It is all worth it.
I hope he thinks so too.
We are nearing his year (half-way) mark. I know how quickly the second year flies by- and that helps to ease the ache I have of him being separated from us.
Elder Wadley, Elder Cepeda

Indianapolis, Indiana- the Spanish Elders

I don't know where the tie came from, but it is awesome.
This is the video that he shared. A 2:33 message of peace and hope.
This is the purpose of his two years.
To bring people to Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment