Tuesday, August 23, 2016

When You See Yourself in Your Kids

E-mail writing is progressing with Elder Wadley. I got a full paragraph again!
The kids started back to school this week and I have to remind my two Elders of the joy they should feel now that they never have to attend public school again!
Seems like when my kids hit their senior year, it was a real struggle for them to find the energy to scrape themselves off of the mattress.
This was one of my guilty pleasures when both of my boys went on their missions. Someone else was prying them out of bed! Or maybe the MTC/CCM peer pressure made them set an alarm or something. Don't know. Don't care. I just know it wasn't me on "angry-human-alarm-clock" duty stomping down to the basement room.
Even as a grown adult, it is a weird feeling to have Back to School time come, and not be obligated. I still enjoy not participating in that first shockingly early first day. I send the kids off and I go back to bed.
Because I can. It's tradition.
I guess genetically, we don't do mornings well.

Here is Elder Wadley's e-mail this week:
This week was kinda lame we had a zone meeting and to be honest high school wasn't terrible but it kinda was idk um we didn't really do anything fun this week i guess it was lame weeks all around ha ha our teaching pool is good we have three people on date right now two of them are really solid i think we are going to try and put two more on date tomorrow um we had a lesson with Ronnie the other day and it seems like hes being able to retain more information we think it might be a  spiritual gift ill send you some pictures too
You recall Ronnie was the investigator that is an addict. They are making progress with him, it seems.
He is starting an addiction recovery program this week.
Here are the photos Elder Wadley sent along with this commentary:
the first one is a blister about the size of a half dollar the second is ill let you guess and the third is a man at the hospital who wheeled himself out to smoke
Terre Haute, Indiana
They pass this hospital when they go to church, and Brendan saw this- and took the picture. At times you see yourself in your kids- this can be a good thing, or a humbling thing.
This last photo is totally something I would have taken. The irony of a man receiving treatment in a hospital, but wheeling his vital medical crap outside to have a smoke is not lost on me.
Before I got too proud of myself and him for inheriting my excellent sense of slightly irreverent humor- he shared this scripture with me:
(1Timothy 2:11-14)
 11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
 12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
 13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
 14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
I was going to send him a package, but I am re-thinking that now.
I think I will take his advice and just be silent on the mail front.

No comments:

Post a Comment