Thursday, November 2, 2017

The One Where We Go Private

So hey, internets.
My last couple posts here caught the eye of some people at LDS Living magazine. They asked me to write an article based on my experience with not having a "cookie cutter" Elder.
They described my writing as "raw" and "relatable" which I believe is editorial code words for "She kind of sounds like a delicious hick."

Anywho.
I have read a lot of articles in LDS Living that have helped me- so in light of maybe paying it forward, I wrote the article.
I am not sure when it is going to be public, but if my name is attached to it, that would make this blog very searchable (how many white, non-stripper, Shaunte Wadley's do you know?) and open to anyone.
I have enjoyed flying under the radar.
I am making the blog private here in a few days, to respect Elder Brendan's privacy, and the privacy of his companions since he is still serving until July. Hopefully.
I would love to add whoever wants to keep reading.
Hit me up and I will add you.
I think? (I am pretty old-  I hope I can figure out the back end of the dashboard here.)

I'll keep posting. It is therapeutic for me to post, and work out my feelings through words.
And I have always thought that it is important for people to see real life.
It bothers me that in religion, and life in general, people hide the ugly things and try to paint a perfect picture. Social media has largely contributed to this unrealistic expectation.

I want people to feel like they are normal when they have ugly days. When you stay in your pajamas because showering seems like a chore. When your kids eat cold cereal for dinner out of Tupperware because every dish you own is piled up dirty in the sink.
When you swear a little, out loud or in your head.
Days when you feel unloved and unneeded, and heaven seems silent- like all of your prayers are bouncing back.
It's okay.
Life isn't perfect. It isn't supposed to be.
The ugly days are what defines our character, humbles us, and makes us strong.
(Elder Wadley is really earning some gainz. (<--gym talk))
Why yes, that is a Walmart Associate (ROLLBACK!) tag underneath his missionary tag. (eyeroll emoji)
It helps me to know that other peoples' lives are cracked sometimes too.
When I leak, I have people who patch me up, and I hope I do the same for others.

At the end of the day, we are all just walking each other home.

No comments:

Post a Comment