Tuesday, October 25, 2016

The One with the Refiner's Fire

Sending an 18 year old out into the world is very hard on a mom, for any reason. Sending a boy out to serve the Lord makes it a little easier in some ways (having the faith that they are taken care of), but in other ways (no phone calls, weekly e-mails only) makes it hard.
I am not going to sugar-coat it, Elder Brendan is struggling a little.
He doesn't open up much, so it was pretty significant this week when he admitted to me that he was not super happy, and missed us a lot. There is only so much that a mom can do via e-mail, and from a few thousand miles away.
I am not worried about him- I know he is determined, and just stubborn enough to push through this rough patch- but it still hurts my hearts to know that he is unhappy at the moment.

Every missionary hits what is referred to as "the refiner's fire."

1Peter1:7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ.

The training period, newness and excitement wears off and they are left with the reality that "this is my life now, for the next two years." He is right on schedule. It hits around the 4-5 month typically.
He could probably use some extra support and prayers, if you feel so inclined. (His pride is going to be angry at me for posting this!)

I think we all go through this "refiner's fire" at different stages in our lives.
I remember when I was knee-deep in diapers, Cheerios, and carpet stains with four littles, and periodically my mom would remind me that "these are the best years of your life!" and it made me a little want to kill myself, because IT HAD TO GET BETTER THAN THIS.
I know what she meant, the memories I get to keep now that I have passed that stage really are the best- but that particular "refiner's fire" was one of endurance.

I went through another "refiner's fire" a couple of years ago, when I went from a busy mom who was stretched a million ways with kids who needed me for everything, to a mom who was no longer needed at all. Suddenly I had free time to spare, and a quiet house. This "refiner's fire" was one of loneliness.

Each stage in our lives shapes us, and tries us. Each change that comes from moving to the next chapter is hard. Change requires us to assess ourselves and determine if we are going to adapt and grow, or resist and wither.

I don't have a lot of e-mail to post from Elder Brendan this week, since a good part of it was private. Brendan, if you read this- I am proud of you, and I think you've got this.
I mailed your guitar. Write a terrible country song about your situation, and get to work!
Here is his e-mail:
hey i dont really know what to talk about this week kinda sucked we had interviews with president which was good but this week kinda sucked also i got the Halloween package so that was cool i didnt take any pics this week sorry
I got a photo from his interview with the mission president and noticed that his hair looks suspiciously like it is fairly long and maybe even tucked behind his ears a little.
What are your plans today? Haircut? Lol
no haircut passed interviews so it'll be Christmas when i maybe cut it haha
You idiot. Lol
Remember when Jayden had long hair and Bishop Smith said "when he cuts his hair, you will know that he is ready for a mission, it is a sign of obedience and compliance." I want you to think about that for a minute
lol okay hey the fudge you mailed me was delicious by the way hey but i think im done emailing today so i love you and miss you 
I love you too. Good luck this week, I will pray for you.
Elder Wadley with the backpack. Terre Haute zone.

1 comment: