Wednesday, November 16, 2016

The One With CHICKENSLAUGHTER

Brendan's blog posts are truly a labor of love.
After I wrote him a lengthy, entertaining, possibly award-winning and heartfelt e-mail summarizing our week at home, this is what I got in response.
um this week has been pretty good out here im getting transferred i dont know where too but i know im leaving yeah i slit some chickens throats it was a good time haha i dont really know what to say haha so this will do i guess
Sigh.
So thus begins my efforts to pry literally anything else out of him.
Here is how that usually goes down.
I ask him a question, and he ignores it for three or four times of me asking and then he finally gives me a sentence or two about whatever it is that I asked.
So let's revisit his "e-mail" and highlight a possible subject of interest- you know, that HE COULD HAVE WRITTEN ABOUT IN THE FIRST PLACE. Keep in mind, each line is a separate e-mail. By the time his p-day is done, we have a chain of about 47 back and forth e-mails.
um this week has been pretty good out here im getting transferred i dont know where too but i know im leaving yeah i slit some chickens throats it was a good time haha i dont really know what to say haha so this will do i guess
Tell me more about your CHICKENSLAUGHTER Also did you take pics? Did you take one of you and your guitar?
nah
okay maybe in a second
What are your plans today?
play games i dont really know
Tell me about the dang chickens! I want a descriptive paragraph about the whole process.
we got a knife stung them up by there feet slit their throats and cut the heads off with scissors then skinned them
Aaaaand then he was gone.
I got a better e-mail from Klisse. She described what happened at the farm this week and she sends photos too!
I guess we can clearly see who my favorite Hoosier is this week.
From Klisse:
the next order of business was smiting chickens, 3 to be exact, as the others were too small to bother with. Inquiries to Eschler and Wadley showed that they could come out that morning and do it, so I would have time to cook them down for dinner on Saturday. They were able to “git-r-dun”, even though I discovered that while Wadley had gone hunting before, he had never dressed anything out (shame, shame!!) and Eschler hadn’t done any of that. Wadley was great with the smiting and Eschler was a little more cautious, but still did it.
I was niggling a little bit at Wadley when he came to smite chickens about his hair. After being questioned about requirements of hair, and even asked if "he would feel better if he was just obedient", he said the hair band kept the hair off his ears and there wasn't anything in the book about how long it was in back.
I made the guys some fresh bread when they came out for smiting, and your son allowed that "you were a keeper", as far as moms go. He seemed more at ease and seems about 100% certain he will be leaving and Eschler staying. So whatever happens, happens, but I always miss them all.
Isn't she great! She is the only reason I know anything that is going on in Indiana!
This week brought us another surprise.
We got a package in the mail from Indiana.
At first I thought that a package I had mailed Brendan was returned to us. It was the same computer printed labels that I use. Then I realized Brendan had cut them off of one of the packages he got from us, and just slapped them on a new box.
I collaged this box and the contents in the above for his mission book, you might want to click on it to see it larger. He sent us all a bunch of treasures. Most of it was items he had found on his p-day adventures. All of the items in the package had our names labeled on them with athletic tape, and the box was padded with Walmart bags and strips of what looked like torn sheets?
I am afraid to ask.
The package contained a letter, explaining who was supposed to get what and that this package was supposed to be our Christmas presents!
For me?
I got his daily planner from the first four months of his mission.
I had a good time going through it, and seeing what he did every day and what some of his goals were. I can say, that it appears that he is actually doing some missionary work!
His planner also had his mission cell phone number, that idiot.
I have been tempted to randomly text dirty pictures.
Screen shots from the video clip he sent us of him playing the guitar.

Terre Haute, Indiana

No comments:

Post a Comment